Bring on the April showers! I wrote about 10 Stylish Items That’ll Keep You Dry in a Downpour for USA Today 10Best. Bet you’ll especially love the cute boots and the heart-shaped umbrella!Read All Entries
a post-election action plan for nasty women and bad hombres
Like many people, I spent yesterday – the day after the election – grieving for the future of our country.
But today, inspired by Hillary herself, I am back up and ready to fight for the true United States – you know, the one where the Statue of Liberty welcomes immigrants; where all citizens have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation or religion; and where there’s a distinct separation between church and state.
I’m mad as hell about having to defend rights we’ve already fought so hard to win, and I’m appalled at the racism, sexism and violence that’s been unleashed during this election by the President-elect, but I’m going to put all of that outrage, devastation and energy into taking action.
I have also been inspired by the emotional stories shared by the three million plus members of my not-so-secret Facebook group, and I was really drawn to author Catherine McKenzie‘s post-election plan to do three things a day to prepare for the new regime.
So here are a few simple ways to be productive, which I’ve picked up from her and all the other amazing people who care passionately about keeping our country safe for all its citizens.
Pick and choose as you see fit, and PLEASE add anything else you can think of in the comments. I will continue to update this list and will add links to everything to make all of this as easy as possible.
Remember we are #StrongerTogether
* First, please take a few minutes to write a thank you note to Hillary. I promise this will make both of you feel good 🙂
Post Office Box 5256
New York, NY 10185-5256
* Volunteer or donate (some people are donating in Hillary’s name as a show of respect and gratitude) to these organizations, and make sure to “like” them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. Social media numbers actually show support, which is crucial to politicians considering who to back. I think the reasons for these specific groups are self-explanatory but, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
* Money talks. Boycott all Trump brands and retailers who carry them. Check out #GrabYourWallet
Use this as your Facebook profile picture until then:
* Make sure your passport is valid for at least the next 4 years. If it expires before then, consider renewing it now anyway.
* Read these Concrete Suggestions in Preparation for January regarding issues including immigration, LGBT, birth control, disabilities.
* Wear a safety pin to show that you’re a safe person for victims of hate crimes.
* Make sure that everyone you know in Louisiana votes for Foster Campbell in the runoff election next month. That would add one more crucial Democratic Senate seat.
* Speak up – for yourself and for those in need. This is not the time to be silent.